Friday, October 3, 2008

Maputo

Hello!
I've been in Africa for a few days now. I think I've actually managed to adjust to the time change quite well because I've forced myself to only go to sleep at normal local times. I didn't sleep much on the plane so that made it easier. We're staying in Kaya Kwanga now, but I'll be living with my host families starting on Sunday morning and I'll also start my more intensive training then. Thus far, I've received 4 vaccinations (with more to come), metacais (local currency), a HUGE medical kit and general precautions about our safety in regards to where we can go and water and food. We get a heavy duty water purifier too. Maputo is a pretty dangerous place...our hotel is surrounded by a fence with barbed wire on top. I guess a lot of crimes happen right across the street from where we are, along the beach. Assaults and robberies are the most common, but the Peace Corps is very upfront about telling us what we can and cannot do. I'm becoming quite certain that I'll get malaria or some sort of other parasite at some point during my stay. It's just inevitable. But we have all the medicine we need. We have to brush our teeth wiith bottled water because the tap is REALLY unsafe. I'm enjoying everyone and everything so far. I'll try to write more later, but as I'm going to my host family soon communication will be even more limited. If anyone wants to text, my cell number is 011-258-82-819-8145. I won't text a lot, but if you want to know I'm alive I'll give you updates. I hope everyone is doing well! Miss you all. Much love!!

1 comment:

spencerineurope said...

woot chelsea is alive!

you should prolly buy a gun or something... lol... but no really...