Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Training

So, I am half way through my third day of training here in namaacha. (im sorry but it is difficult to capitalize and do proper punctuation with this computer). here is a little bit of my everyday life thus far - i wake up at 6am from the rooster crowing, then i gather my things and walk down to the bathroom area, which is really a concrete shack with a tin roof. there, i set my bucket of river water and then i use a cup to pour water over myself as a squat on the floor. right next to the shower area is the hole where you do your duties. it looks like a mini chimney. i squat on that too. then i walk back to my room, which is also a concrete room with a tin roof (that the chickens like to jump on and then walk all over) and i get dressed. i brush my teeth over the trash hole, which is a giant square dug out of the ground that all the trash is dumped in and burned when it gets too full. then i have breakfast that consists of tea and bread, and go to portuguese lessons. those are going really well. my house is made up of 4 different buildings. 1 for eating, my room, the bathroom, and the shack that is the kitchen, which only has a hot plate in it for cooking. it has definitely taken some getting used to and im still adjusting. im doing much better than the first night. ive killed a few cockroaches. no snakes or spiders yet though so i am thankful. we are doing cross cultural lessons and such during the day too. those are also going well. i like all of my fellow trainees so thats good. im making some friends. ive taken some pictures of my neighborhood. i can see swaziland and south africa from the top of the trail down into my area. its a beautiful view. when i can upload pictures i will. i hope everyone is doing well and i miss you all. much love!

1 comment:

pjames said...

fuck yes chelsea! that sounds really cool. i'm glad you are getting adjusted to the local wildlife and different style of living. the dude im working for here in spain is from south africa and he has led all sorts of river expeditions throughout many of the countries right close to there and he said that mozambique is really tight, which made me excited that you are there right now. keep it real and good luck with the portugese.

peace,

pat